Book a Trip with Me!          ~~           USGS Green River Conditions           ~~           Weather Conditions


Thursday, August 23, 2018

and now you know the rest of the story...

Since trail life, my time in the shower has remained a highly anticipated part of my daily routine. Second, only to a cold, hop-a-licious brew-ski. The water temperature needs to be hovering right below scalding. Add a pinch of tea tree oil and BOOM... blissfulness.  Muscles begin to relinquish their death grip and my mind starts to wonder. I reflect. One recent reflection resulted in a post on social media.

The responses were quite mixed. The following morning, I realized more information was necessary for readers to fully grasp the intention of my post.

Each morning we meet our clients in the parking lot at the shop. This particular morning was a corporate trip, which required multiple boats in order to accommodate the number of people. I describe a corporate trip as a unique type of multi-boat trip, where one individual (representative of the company) is paying for the entire trip. With that being said, the clients typically have no background in fly-fishing and might be experiencing the Green for the first time. Their expectations are often quite low. Generally, they are grateful for the time away from work and the opportunity to relax. I think it's incredibly generous that these companies send their clients out to fish for a day or two.

It can get comical at times in the parking lot when five boats are going out together. Boat assignments, gear acquisition, shuttling, and scheduling are all completed within ten to fifteen minutes. Not to mention the entertainment that follows at the put-in ramp on a busy day. This day was no exception. The clients spent a good five to ten minutes standing around at the put-in ramp waiting on us to drop our boats and park our trucks before returning. Unbeknownst to me, during this downtime, the representative of the company was reassuring my clients that even though they were with "the girl guide," she was going to put them on fish. I rejoined the circus show at the ramp and collected my clients unaware of this recent guarantee.

The wind had made itself known throughout the morning even before we arrived in the parking lot. Once on the river, the wind pressed against our faces without subsiding. I cannot say that my first experience throwing a dry fly dealt with a headwind, and neither can these clients. Plans changed as we were to begin attempting the laborious task of battling the wind. Our lead guide mentioned that it would be okay to nymph: a style of fly-fishing that seems to be frowned upon in this microcosm of a trapper's town.

We nymphed the entire day. The only boat to do so out of the five boats. They learned to mend like champions, feed line, shoot line, read water, present a drag-free drift, cast by stopping the rod-tip high with a pause on the back cast, and play fish. Most importantly, they had a great day. As we neared the ramp to take-out, they shared the put-in conversation they had had with the company rep. I tried to shrug it off mentally. I mean, it is what it is, right? At that point, the only thing I asked of them was to downplay their day when they returned to the lodge. Two fish a piece max. I knew that my colleagues had not nymphed so their clients experience was probably different than ours. They agreed.

The following morning repeated itself in the parking lot with the same clients and boats. All the clients had decided to remain with their guides from the prior day.  Stories from the previous day were shared as we drove to the put-in. Our boat had indeed netted more fish that the other four boats combined. Out of curiosity I asked how the other clients felt about their first day. The clients had all come to the conclusion that it had been a tough day of fishing.  Not once, did these clients question the abilities of their guides. They had assumed that fishing was tough and the guides had tried their best to put them on fish. I remained calm on the outside throughout the day while a fire ragged internally. Why were their clients okay getting skunked yet my clients needed reassurance before they boarded my boat? Why can't I be afforded that same luxury?

Only the showered doused the flames.

This is my reality. I am a female fly-fishing guide in the state of Utah... the ONLY one on the Green.

...and now you know the rest of the story.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Cori, This is Eric Zschiesche (z-she), I recently shared a few moments with you and Josh on the Weber River. A thank you to you both,... the pointers and gear gifts were very kind. Cori, Kudos to you for following your passions, and posting with such style. Writing is a beautiful means of expression. Specifically regarding this post,... unfortunately, too many men are intimidated by competent women. To strive to do our best,.. knows no gender bias,... and for those that do not understand or appreciate this simple fact,... well,... their opinions and (lacking) worldviews are of little value. Happy trails !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Cori, I have fished with you once a few years back, Are you going to be out guiding the Blue in May 2019? I would love to bring my Dad out with you to hit the A section.

    ReplyDelete