I finally did it! I covered roughly 16 river miles in one float. The Green River below Flaming Gorge is broken down in three sections: A (~7 miles), B (~9 miles), and C (~15 miles). This float included both the A and B sections. I meandered Tigre (my boat) through all the rapids, including Red Creek. Beyoncé was on repeat internally during the final 4 miles to the boat ramp. Not only was I feeling flawless, I also felt like I had slayed... all day. That mental high was needed.
This was the first time Tigre has met the creek that runs red. Red creek is classified as a class 3 rapid and has sunk plenty of boats over the years. First impressions can make or break (literally) relationships so I kept her pretty quiet through the encounter. I'm sure it will be the first of many peaceful encounters.

Mother Nature has shown some humor lately. After a series of pleasant days with 60 degree weather, she decided to appease the trouts' requests for easier top water targets. She brought in cool temperatures mixed with rain, hail, and a stubborn breeze. The perfect combination to prevent the blue winged olive mayflies (BWOs) from drying their wings quickly. They literally become sitting targets on the top water...blankets of them. Envision the airports during dangerous weather... planes docked at terminals with helpless passengers stranded. At least the passsengers don't have a hungry predator lurking below. Unfortunate time for the BWOs for sure, but an excellent time for an angler!
In April, at 6k feet in elevation, never leave without your waders. Rain jackets and pants are a poor substitute. Lesson learned. I couldn't button my pants after finding relief on the nearby bank before grasshopper island. My fingers were refusing to cooperate. My boss noticed my blue lips by red creek, which isn't the first for the two of us. Last year a similar situation occurred in August. From this point forward if my boss notices any tint of blue, I'm forced to wear hooker-red lipstick. I disdain all things related to materials applied to the face. My waders will accompany me on Tigre for the remainder of the season regardless of Mother Nature's mood.
As for relief from the onslot of underwater attack, Mother Nature is still favoring the scaly, finned creatures. Rain is currently serenading my silnylon roof as I type this entry. Perfect day for a warm beverage, great book, or a fly rod...oh (almost forgot) and a good pair of waders. Not such a favorable day if you're an emerging BWO. If only their wings could dry faster!
Cori, it looks as if you're having an amazing time! I've subscribed to your newsletter, also.
ReplyDelete